Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Arts For Healing

Right after my accident, I started teaching again for the Arts For Healing Program at the John P. Murtha center. This is my third year and each time working with this group of people is such a great reminder of the Good People there are in this world. This program provides an opportunity for people with various illnesses and levels of pain to come together for an afternoon each week to paint, draw, laugh and simply forget about their pain. The love and true friendship that permeates this room is almost visible to the eye.

This week we began our class with a simple writing assignment. The poems below are from each of the participants.

Love
Friendship, Trust
Giving, Forgiving, Honoring
Never having to be sorry
Honor

Paint
Color, Freedom
Flowing, Glowing, Moving
My canvas explodes with beauty
Release

Love
Sharing, Giving, Laughing
Forever and ever together
Dream

Beach
Blue, Yellow
Sweating, Running, Splashing
The sand around my feet
Life

Faith
Trust, Innocence
Believing, Praying, Chanting
It is what it is
Hope

Winter
Snowy, Icy
Playing, Shoveling, Blowing
Warm by the fire place
White

Life
Hard, Worry
Wondering, Promising, Beginning
I have a great family
Spirit

Art
Talent, Colorful
Relaxing, Healing, Feeling
Your innermost feelings and thoughts
Draw

Baseball
Running, Sliding, Throwing
Kiss it good bye
Bob Prale

Jesus
Savior, Healer
Praying, Believing, Hoping
Died on cross for our sins
Love

Birds
Feather, Alive
Flying, Singing, Eating
Joyful in the air
Trust

Love
Respect, Honor
Talking, Walking, Listening
It makes our lives one
Endless

Vacation
Unscheduled, Unhurried
Relaxing, Refreshing, Renewing
A time to unwind
Retreat

Watercolor
Warm, Cool
Creating, Revealing, Refreshing
Somewhere over the rainbow
Reflection

Smile
Contagious, Happy
Laughing, Loving, Caring
Good for the soul
Open

1 comment:

  1. Thought I'd say "Hello" and "Thank You!", Martha.
    I've just looked over the entire blog here and my how this has grown! I loved all of the student's works esp. the mosaics! Hope we can do some mosaics at AFH sometime if the state ever realizes how important "The Arts" are and allows funding for same... Yet, maybe it's time for me to "stand on my own two feet" and explore my painting at home and outside as well... I hope and pray that we can all come together again in the future for more classes with you and others. I will greatly miss everyone in AFH, and am also very grateful for Carol and the others in administration who are just wonderful people!
    I have learned so much from all of the AFH classes, but have especailly enjoyed the new acrylic painting techniques I learned from you! I am feeling more confident and positive about many things in my life... I really think that painting has been a huge factor in my better attitude about life, pain, and other problems! The power of Love and Painting! I feel so BLESSED to know you, Martha! You are a wonderful teacher and friend! (and Artist!)
    Much Love & Peace,
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete